Rhode Island PTA Officer Nominations for the 2017-2019
If you are interested in serving in one of the positions, please submit your name and the position of interest. The descriptions on the following pages outline the responsibilities of the Officers of the Rhode Island PTA.
The Rhode Island PTA Nominating Committee is responsible for nominating one eligible person for each of the following officer positions and reports its recommended nominees to the Rhode Island PTA Board of Managers and each local PTA in March. Each officer of the Rhode Island PTA shall be a member of a local unit PTA.
Elections are held at the Rhode Island PTA Spring Convention Meeting on April 6, 2017. Officers will assume their official duties on July 1, 2017 and shall serve for a term of 2 years.
Reflections Change of Deadline Date
Please note the previous deadline for submissions was December 13. It has been changed to allow a flexible schedule for entry drop-offs. The dates for drop off submissions at RIC office will be on Monday’s from 10:30am to 12:00pm on January 23,30; and February 6, 13. There will be one additional date, Wednesday February 15th from 6pm to 7pm.
Due to National PTA reporting deadlines, any submissions after February 15th will not be accepted.
Thank you for your continued support and look forward to seeing all the wonderful ideas the children have created.
Anyone wanting to help with the Reflections ceremony planning committee, please contact Cynthia McNeill at email@example.com for more information. All forms and information are available on our webpage, rhodeislandpta.org.
Rhode Island PTA is looking for a few good leaders
To assist us on Committees and our Board of Managers. Here is a list of what positions are on our team and job descriptions for available positions. If interested, please contact Hilary at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 401-288-7109
Members of the Board shall include:
The elected officers; Chairs of the following committees: Bylaws Chair, Membership Extension, Diversity, Board Development and Nominating, Special Education Liaison and Legislation Chair; Up to one council representative, as selected by their council, to serve; and up to 5 local unit representatives appointed by the Rhode Island PTA President and approved by the Board of Managers based on criteria developed by the Board of Managers and the Immediate Past President of the Rhode Island PTA
Board of Managers Positions Available
VP for Membership
The VP for Membership is a member of the board of managers and the executive board and is responsible for
a.) developing an annual membership plan for Rhode Island PTA and submit it for approval to the board of managers;
b.) maintaining the membership records of the state organization and submit reports to National PTA monthly
- This requires knowledge of (or a willingness to learn) excel or any spreadsheet program
c.) providing training to council, local units and membership chairs through Nuts and Bolts training sessions and at the request of units or directed by the board of managers.
- Training program exists. VP would have to become familiar with it.
d.) serving as a member of the membership extension committee.
e.) participating in National PTA membership conference calls quarterly.
The Corresponding Secretary is a member of the Board of Managers and the Executive Committee and is responsible for
- Compiling and maintaining the local unit/council/state PTA board member database and input database on National PTA’s system.
- Send out email correspondences to all local unit/council/state PTA board members as directed and approved by the President.
- Print out labels of local unit/council/state PTA officers and return address labels for mailings as needed.
- Be available as a back up to the Recording Secretary for keeping the minutes of all meetings.
- Provide support and training to Councils and local units as requested by the units or directed by the Board.
The Diversity Committee Chair is appointed by the President and approved by the board of managers.
- The Diversity Committee shall be responsible for reviewing the Rhode Island PTA Diversity and Inclusion Policy and Plan annually.
- The Diversity Committee shall submit a plan of work to the Executive Committee for approval. No committee work shall be undertaken without the consent of the Executive Committee.
- The chair of the Diversity Committee shall continue the plan of work established by his/her predecessor until such time as a new plan of work is approved.
- Shall attend National PTA’s Diversity and Inclusion Conference Annually (or assist in appointing a delegate from Rhode Island PTA).
The chair of the Legislation Committee shall be appointed by the president and approved by the board of managers and will be responsible for
- developing an annual plan of work to support the National PTA legislative priorities and submit it to the Board of Managers for approval;
- Representing Rhode Island PTA at Legislative Conferences sponsored by the National PTA;
- Preparing the program for the Fall Congress Meeting of the Rhode Island PTA.
- Reviewing all Resolutions submitted to the Rhode Island PTA for consideration by the membership at Fall Congress or the Annual Spring Meeting. All such Resolutions must be presented to the Board of Managers for approval prior to presentation to the membership.
- Providing support and training to Councils, local units and/or their membership chairs as requested by the units or directed by the Board.
Local unit representatives (4 seats available)
Local unit representatives are invaluable to the Rhode Island Board of Managers as they give voice to the local units, the problems and successes they have and help shape our policies so to not over burden our local PTAs.
Committee Chair Positions Available
Healthy Lifestyles Chair
This Chair would oversee a committee involved in promoting healthy lifestyles to our State, Councils and local units. There are many outside agencies to partner with and National PTA programs. There may be a National PTA conference call to attend and report back to the board once or twice annually.
Male Involvement Chair
Using a toolkit provided by National PTA, the Male Involvement or Engagement Chair will build an active network of fathers involved in their child’s education. There may be a National PTA conference call to attend and report back to the board once or twice annually.
Rhode Island PTA Committees Available to join
Membership Extension Committee
The chair of the Extension Membership Committee shall be appointed by the President and approved by the Board of Managers. The Vice-President for Membership shall be a member of the Extension Membership Committee. The Extension Membership Committee shall be responsible for reviewing the Rhode Island PTA Extension Membership Plan annually and submitting a plan of work to the Executive Committee for approval.
- The bylaws and policy committee shall review and approve local unit bylaws and assist in the answering of bylaws questions coming from these PTAs; ;
- The bylaws and policy committee shall review council bylaws and submit, with appropriate recommendations, those bylaws to the board of managers for approval;
- The bylaws of all constituent organizations are subject to review by Rhode Island PTA bylaws and policy committee;
- The bylaws and policy committee shall review Rhode Island PTA bylaws annually and make recommendations for amendments for the Fall Congress meeting in November.
Nominating and Board Development Committee
- The chair of the board development and nominating committee shall be elected the committee.
- The committee shall be responsible for the identification and recruitment and shall oversee the training of board members and committees;
- The committee shall evaluate, screen, and nominate one (1) eligible candidate for each office. The slate shall be sent to the board of managers and each local PTA prior to the Annual Convention in an election year;
- The committee shall advise the president on appointment of committee chairs;
- The president shall not serve as a member of the board development and nominating committee;
- This committee will asked to assist in the development of the Nuts and Bolts training sessions held annually in August.
- The chair of the Reflections committee shall be appointed by the president and approved by the board of managers;
- The Reflections committee shall be responsible for National PTA Reflections program in the state of Rhode Island including the advising of local unit Reflection Chairs, collection of the submitted artwork, securing judges, ordering the awards ribbons and planning the Reflections Art Ceremony held annually in late February/early March.
The chair of the communications/media committee shall be appointed by the president and approved by the board of managers. The chair and committee will be responsible for the publication of the Rhode Island PTA newsletter; overseeing the upkeep of the Rhode Island PTA website, Facebook pages, Twitter and any other social media. Ideally, in the future, the committee would put together a marketing campaign for PTA to be used by Rhode Island PTA and local PTA units to promote membership.
The chair of the Diversity Committee shall be appointed by the President and approved by the Board of Managers and along with the committee shall be responsible for reviewing the Rhode Island PTA Diversity and Inclusion Policy and Plan annually, submitting a plan of work to the Executive Committee for approval and overseeing its execution.
Spring Convention Committee
The chair of the Spring Convention Committee shall be appointed by President and approved by the Board of Managers and along with the committee shall be responsible for planning all facets of the annual Convention.
Fall Congress Committee
The Legislative Chair is responsible for planning this event along with the committee. The small night time event is utilized for updating bylaws, presenting the advocacy program and having a speaker for the evening.
Nuts and Bolts Committee
Along with the Chair of the Nominating and Board Development, this committee is responsible for planning the annual training program for our local units which traditionally occur in August.
LPL Scholarship Committee
Members of this committee would be involved in the selection of the annual scholarship recipient(s).
Tarin Byrne Volunteer Award Committee
Members of this committee will be involved in the selection of the annual volunteer award.